- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 2 tsp of active yeast
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp dry basil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp of oil
- Calaloo (aka spinach) $200 GYD/bundle
- Tomatoes (sliced) $100 GYD/bag of 4
- Sweet Peppers (diced) $100 GYD/bag of 4
- Pineapple (diced) Currently 3 for $500 GYD
- Shredded cheese $660 GYD/lb
- Marinara Sauce (homemade or pre-made)
- In a large bowl, mix together flour + oil + garlic + herbs + water w/ yeast. I usually leave the yeast in the warm water for a minute before adding to the dough mixture.
- Dough should be soft. If it is too moist, add a little bit of flour until the dough is less sticky.
- While the oven is pre-heating at 450F, roll out the dough. Sprinkle flour on top as you go to roll them out easier. I like thin-crust pizza’s so I cut my dough into three and rolled each out to about 8 inches.
- Chip and put all your toppings on.
- Bake in the over for about 15 to 20 minutes.
I catch myself missing food from home like thin crust pizza with stringy mozzarella cheese that melts in your mouth and yummy toppings that fall of the sides with every bite. But thankfully, I’m still able to make a lot of my favorite foods here in Guyana. It’s been fun challenging myself to try new recipes on limited resources. It takes a little creativity and some budgeting, but I get the job done.
Pizza isn’t hard to find in Guyana if you live on the coast. If you don’t go to Pizza Hut or Mario’s, your Guyanese Pizza is about 95% bread, 4% cheese, and 1% toppings. The toppings vary from things like pineapples, onions, sweet peppers to ketchup, hot dogs, corn, and bora (green beans). It’s not what I’m used to, but who’s to say it doesn’t work. That’s the beauty of pizza–you can put whatever you want on warm bread and melted cheese and be happy.
I’m a firm believer in eating pizza as an act of loving yourself. As a health promoter I feel obligated to say I wouldn’t recommend it all the time, but sometimes you just need it for your soul. So when you finally get that long-overdue day to yourself, sit in your stretchy pants and enjoy!